Ramelton > Trips > Glenveagh Castle  


Glenveagh Castle

 

The estate of Glenveagh was created in 1857-59 by the purchase of several smaller holdings by John George Adair. Adair incurred infamy throughout Donegal and Ireland by evicting some 244 tenants in the cold April of 1861. Most of the evictions took place at the edge of the estate, along the shore of Lough Gartan.
Adair built Glenveagh Castle about 1870, but died in 1885.

Following the death of Mrs. Adair in 1921, Glenveagh fell into decline until its purchase in 1929 by Professor Arthur Kingsley Porter of Harvard. His stay was short, as he disappeared mysteriously from Inishbofin Island in 1933. The last private owner was Mr. Henry Mcllhenny of Philadelphia, USA, who bought the estate in 1937.

In 1975, the lands of Glenveagh were purchased by the State and in 1981, Mr Mcllhenny presented Glenveagh Castle and Gardens to the Irish Nation.
The castle may be visited only on guided tours.

Work on the gardens began over 100 years ago with Cornelia Adair and the subsequent efforts of Henry McIlhenny.

The gardens boast a multitude of exotic plants which contrasts starkly with the surrounding bog land.

 

Das Glenveagh-Anwesen wurde in den Jahren 1857-59 durch den "Ankauf" mehrerer kleiner Höfe von John George Adair errichtet. Adair ging dabei überaus unverschämt und brutal vor und vertrieb 244 Mieter im April 1861. Die meisten Räumungen fanden am Rand des Anwesens, am Lough Gartan, statt. Adair baute am Castle bis 1870 und starb 1885. Seine Witwe überlebte ihn um 36 Jahre bis 1921.
Danach verfiel das Gut, bis es 1929 vom Harvard-Professor Arthur Kingsley Porter gekauft wurde. Sein Aufenthalt war recht kurz, da er 1933 bei einem Spaziergang auf der Insel Inishbofin spurlos verschwand. Der letzte Privatbesitzer war der Kunstsammler Henry McIlhenny aus Philadelphia, USA, der das Anwesen 1937 kaufte.
1975 wurden die Glenveagh-Ländereien vom Staat gekauft und 1981 schenkte McIlhenny dann das Castle und die Gärten der irischen Nation.
Zu besichtigen ist das Haus allerdings nur mit Führung.
Mit dem Anlegen der Gärten begann Cornelia Adair schon vor über 100 Jahren, was dann von H. McIlhenny fortgesetzt wurde. Die Gärten stehen mit ihrer Vielzahl an exotischen Pflanzen im starken Kontrast zum sumpfigen Umland.

 
design / copyright by