Ramelton > Trips > Letterkenny  


Letterkenny

 

Letterkenny is the largest and most densely populated town in Donegal. The town grew in the 17th century from a small fishing village to a prosperous town.

Letterkenny's name comes from the Gaelic
"Leitir Ceannain"= Hillside of the O'Cannons.
The O'Cannons were the local chieftains before Norman times.
St.Eunan's Cathedral dominates the skyline on all approaches to the town. Dating from the 1890's and built in a gothic style, the Cathedral was commissioned by the Bishop of Raphoe, Patrick O'Donnell, who in 1888 at the age of 32, became the youngest Bishop in the world.

On the High Road is the County Museum, housed in the old workhouse. Opened in 1843, the Workhouse operated until 1922 and was converted to a museum in 1987.
The museum houses a fascinating range of artifacts covering all aspects of live in Donegal from the pre-historic period to the 20th century.

On College Road is St. Eunan's College, built as a seminary in 1904, is a big three-storey castle with a round tower at each corner and reminds a bit on Harry Potter.

Built in 1829, the Courthouse is one of the last survivors in County Donegal of the old style in court buildings which also includes several cells. The Courthouse now hosts District and Circuit Court sittings.

Opened in 1999, An Grianán Theatre has quickly established itself as the major venue in the Northwest for local, national and international act.

 

Letterkenny ist die größte und am dicht besiedeltste Stadt in Donegal. Der Ort wuchs im 17. Jahrhundert von einem kleinen Fischerdorf zu einer wohlhabenden Stadt.

Letterkennys Name kommt vom gälischen"Leitir Ceannain"
= Bergseite der O'Cannons.
Die O'Cannons waren der regierende Clan in der Zeit vor den Normannen.
Das Stadtbild wird dominiert von der St. Eunan's Cathedral. Erbaut 1890 im gotischen Stil und beauftragt vom Bischof von Raphoe, Patrick O'Donnell, welcher 1888 im Alter von 32 der jüngste Bischof der Welt wurde.

Auf der High Road, im ehemaligen Workhouse, befindet sich das County Museum. Dieses wurde 1843 eröffnet und bis 1922 als solches genutzt. 1987 wurde es dann zum Museum umgebaut.
Viele historische Kunstgegenstände, die das Leben in Donegal von der Steinzeit bis heute beschreiben, sind hier zu sehen.

An der College Road ist das St. Eunans College, welches 1904 erbaut wurde. Es ist ein großes dreigeschoßiges Schloß mit einem runden Turm an jeder Ecke und erinnert etwas an Harry Potter.
1829 wurde das Courthouse gebaut, welches jetzt eines der letzten noch existierenden Gerichtshäuser alten Stils in Donegal ist und sogar noch einige Gefängniszellen hat.
Im Courthouse werden Amts- und Bezirksgerichtssitzungen abgehalten.
1999 wurde das An Grianán Theatre eröffnet, welches sehr schnell zur Hauptattraktion im Nordwesten für hiesige, nationale und internationale Aufführungen geworden ist.

design / copyright by
HHE Web + Design